Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The End, My Only Friend

Coming near to the end of this semester, and subsequently this course, I am compelled to write here about the course overall. Consider this a conclusion or a mopping up of the semester. It might be choppy in some areas, but overall will explain my process and journey from this course.

First, credit where credit is due. Professor Myers has been a wonderful guide and mentor. I appreciate his knowledge not only on literature and criticism, but also on life and America through the years. We have had many conversations together and I have learned much from him. This semester went well and flowed easily from one book to another, just as we had planned. I like the stories we chose and if there was one regret I had it would be that we have run out of time and cannot complete any more stories. Professor Myers also pushed me to consider the blog format as an effective medium to share my ideas and opinions and I thank him also for that. If it wasn't for the blog, I would have been pressed into writing a research thesis about these themes and stories, something that I loathe to consider as an undergraduate student. I know that publishing your work and researching topics is the mantra of the nation's universities, but I am a man of the times and like this casual online medium. Plus, my friends and family have the opportunity to read it and I like that. So, blogs good; thesis bad. (And full disclosure, I did not write this paragraph to garner praise from Myers. He is already too full of himself to receive anymore unwarranted praise. This was my public thanks to him because he works hard and I appreciate him taking the time to mentor me as he has.)

When I came across the nucleus of an idea to do independent study Myers and I were discussing Updike, I think, and his work with the Bech novels. So it came to be that we studied Updike because he is one of my favorites and Myers knew enough about him and the contemporary style to discuss these things with me. I cannot consider another writer that I am as fond of who also has the vast library of published works that Updike has. He has enough to fill a semester and more. Sure, I could have slogged through Hemingway or debated the merits of Heller with Myers, but Updike, unassuming, details oriented writer that he is offered the best opportunity to study fiction for me. Now, I come away with something more. I hold a deeper understanding of the writer and his ideas than when I had picked up a paperback of Rabbit is Rich for the first time. I now see more than the words on the page and the characters, I understand better the themes and motivations that the author put into his works. I am glad we studied such a storied (yes, pun) author and would do it again.

As a critic and a reader, I am more astute at discerning meaning within a story. Myers has his own rules for critiquing literature and Updike had his too, which were some of the most widely known in the world of criticism. But as a reader and student I have come up with my own too. These are aimed at people like myself who don't do it for pay but have more than a passing interest in the works that they read.

1. What is the author saying? This is the most fundamental question and the one that requires the most time spent to me. As a reader your first priority is to understand what the author is saying. Now, this does not mean parrot back what is printed on the page. Things are not always what they seem. Read the words and decide what the author is saying. This can be in subtext, or in plot details but most of all see and understand what is being done on the page.

2. To whom is he speaking? As a reader, you singularly are not always the recipient of the message. The author might be speaking through his words and through you to someone else. Whether it is a person, group or society in general it helps to see 1. what the author is saying and 2. to whom is he saying it?

3. Sweat the small stuff. Authors like Updike love to throw major themes and morality judgments at you through asides, actions, plot and objects. Just because it isn't said by a character doesn't mean that it isn't important. Don't gloss over the smaller things because a master of the mundane like Updike will throw major points at you there and you will miss them.

4. Speak up. Don't like a book? Say so. Think that a novel won't have staying power into the next decade? Preach, sister. Want to demean and degrade an author for his choice of setting or flat characters? Do it. Look, in my opinion fewer people are reading novels these days. Electronic formats have driven the masses away from books in favor of news and magazine articles. This means that writers will do more in an attempt to drive sales. But do not forget quality writing in the face of more sales. My point here is this, writers need to know if they are doing their jobs well or not. How else will they know if they are writing good stories or not? When you read, talk about it with other people and express yourself. Share your opinions and back them up with your arguments.

5. Jeffrey Eugenides sucks. Actually that's not a rule, just wanted to again express my distaste over The Marriage Plot which Myers loves and has sold well. Basically its a novel about books. Yawn. The conventions that Eugenides uses are campy and outdated to me (giving characters names that point to inner attributes, quoting French metaphysics that nobody has ever heard of, and the 1980's East Coast college setting) and overall it was about 150 pages too long. More length does not a good book make.

6. Electronic or paper, just read. I have a Kindle and like it. But i still buy paperbacks sometimes. I cannot say either format is better, I just want more people to use one of either to read more novels.

Those are my rules for fiction and have come in handy as this semester went. Sometimes it is critical, especially when you keep reading stories by the same author, to get back to basics and consider the building blocks of a story. Getting the ground up approach where you take the big things first and stack the details on top helped me with some of the works that shared themes or characters because getting bogged down is no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment